Friday, April 20, 2007

Technical Note

I've been using a Pocketmail device to send these entries until recently (see pocketmail.com).  It has been misbehaving recently and I've had to wait until we arrived here in Salamanca andI could find internet access to send in the following updates.
 
Pocketmail was working nicely until we hit Zafra.  While sitting at an outdoor cafe composing that day's recap, Conchi knocked a full glass of red wine onto the device.  I don't think any wine hit the ground.  Between the clean clothes I´d just put on and the pocketmail device, all of it was absorbed.  It kind of shorted out, so I gave it a day to dry.  I was amazed when it fired up the next day, but dismayed when it refused to transmit over the phone.  I borrowed a hair dryer and baked it to the point of deforming some of the plastic casing and it worked again.  But ever since then, it has been finicky.  Over the last week, I've only been able to connect on one in 5 attempts, so I gave up on it.  Here's a recap of events since Galisteo, as best as I can recall.

No comments: