Tuesday, March 20, 2007

19 Km Guillena to Castilblanco de los Arroyos

We were on the road 2 hours earlier than yesterday but still an hour behind all of the other trekkers.  Clearly we need some work in this area.  Tomorrow I'll have to set the alarm.  A fairly long day tomorrow - 29 km - so we need an earlier start.

Today's walk was very nice, mostly through a nature reserve.  The weather the past 2 days has been perfect for walking.  Sunny with a refreshing breeze.  Almost all points north of us have been getting rain; snow in the far north and highlands.  We climbed from about sea level this morning to almost 400 meters. ( This would be a good time to talk about units of measurement.  Everything I see here is metric, so I'm going to leave the math up to you).  Its noticeably cooler up here.  The city put in a pilgrim refuge above one of the municipal buildings and that is where we're staying.  It is a dorm setup with shared bathrooms.  But we do have a seat on the toilet, although we gave up hot water.  Its supposed to work, but... so is a lot of stuff.  No complaints though, for 2 € per night per person.  No complaints from me anyway.  Conchi refused to shower.  I would have too had I known the water was cold.

Anyway, they also provide this blazingly fast internet access for free.  On balance, I'd stay a few nights here if we had the time.  The town itself is small, but has most everything you'd need.  Fairly quiet, too.  Not congested.  There's a lot going on in Sevilla, but I prefer the pace in these pueblos.

No comments: